December 28, 2016
Cornerstone Global Missions 2016 Year in Review
Paul told the Ephesians, “at the center of all this, Christ rules the church. The church, you see, is not peripheral to the world; the world is peripheral to the church. The church is Christ’s body, in which he speaks and acts, by which he fills everything with his presence.” (Eph 1:23 Mes)
I love this verse because it brings perspective to God’s agenda in the world with God’s agenda in the local church. Global Missions is not an afterthought or a separate department in our church. The Great Commission of reaching to the “ends of the earth” with discipleship runs straight thru the center of Christ’s plan, and thru the center of Cornerstone’s purpose to reach people, make disciples, and build relationships. Through our Global Missions, God is continuing to connect our community in Southern California to the bigger picture of playing a strategic role in Christ’s redemption of all things, even to the ends of the earth.
2016 marks our second operating year under the new philosophy and vision frame established in 2014. A healthy and compelling foundation has been laid, our senior pastors and leadership teams have watered and nurtured it, and we continue to be encouraged from our church wide efforts.
Empower Lives International Kenya
- This summer Cornerstone sent a team to visit Empowering Lives International. The team visited both campuses which each have children’s homes, schools, and demonstration centers for training local women in basic but innovative and empowering marketplace skills.
- We visited the rural communities and homes of former brewers to see first-hand the powerful impact of ELI’s training.
Dorm Rehab and Beautification
- We could see the impact of Cornerstone’s $35k gift that was used to expand and improve the dorm for the training center that has been leveraged to train and empower now 800 women in the local communities to escape the cycle of systemic alcohol abuse and crushing poverty to be a blessing to their families and communities.
- Our team enhanced the dorms further by working with local vendors to bring in new bedspreads, drapes, mirrors, and towels.
Alcohol Rehab Center and Training Scholarships
- We have approved and funded next year’s project, which included $17k in needed repairs and improvements to the men’s alcohol rehab center, and $18k to fund scholarships to reach, train, and follow up on 200 more former brewers trapped in a cycle of poverty and asking to be trained.
New Theological College – India
- This year our children’s ministry raised enough funds to buy an additional motorcycle, which helps one of our partner’s church planters reach more communities in less time.
Vision Trip Rescheduled
- We attempted to put together a vision trip this year, which would respond to Uncle George’s request for both children teachers and music teachers visiting and encouraging their students and staff who are overwhelmed by the needs. However, as God’s timing is always perfect, we do have a trip scheduled for 2017 which will include both!
Stay tuned for the second half of this blog series to find out what else we accomplished in 2016 and where we are headed in 2017! To get involved in Cornerstone’s Global Missions, email GlobalMissions@go2cornerstone.com for more information!
Director of Global Missions
additional Blog Posts
Karissa Harrison // December 28 & 29, 2019 When Waiting Works As 2019 comes to an end, are you celebrating or are you WAITING? What is it you’re waiting for? Where do you feel like you’re stuck? Do you feel forgotten? Isaiah 40:27-31 (Message) Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or, whine, Israel, saying,…Read More
The Great Investment: Making Disciples (notes)
Matthew 28:19 “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you … Mark 4:1 Again Jesus began to teach … 3 “Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell…Read More
New Year, New Creation
It’s 2019; a brand-new year. For most, the new year represents new opportunities, new goals, and a fresh start. What are your resolutions this year? Is it to lose those extra pounds you packed on between Halloween and Christmas? Is it to start a new exercise program and get into better shape? Is it to…Read More